Would you like to learn electronics, with an all-in-one board that has sensors and LEDs built in? Circuit Playground is here - and it's the best way to practice programming on real hardware with no soldering or sewing required!
This is the Classic version of Circuit Playground, which comes with an ATmega32u4. It's designed to be used with Arduino IDE and code.org CS Discoveries only. It even comes with Firmata already programmed in, so you can use it immediately with code.org Discoveries without any preparation or updates.
If you would like to use MakeCode or CircuitPython, check out Circuit Playground Express, which can be used with MakeCode, CircuitPython or Arduino.
Circuit Playground features an ATmega32u4 processor, just like the popular Flora. The board's also round and has alligator-clip pads around it so you don't have to solder or sew to make it work. You can power it from USB, a AAA battery pack, or with a Lipoly battery (for advanced users). Just program your code into the board then take it on the go!
- ATmega32u4 Processor, running at 3.3V and 8MHz
- MicroUSB port for programming and debugging with Arduino IDE
- USB port can act like serial port, keyboard, mouse, joystick or MIDI
Circuit Playground has built-in USB support. Built in USB means you plug it in to program it and it just shows up. All you really need is a Micro-B data/sync USB cable - not included! With the new 1.6.4+ Arduino IDE, it takes only a few seconds to add support. The Circuit Playground has USB HID support, so it can act like a mouse or keyboard and attach directly to computers.
Here's some of the great goodies baked in:
- 10 x mini NeoPixels, each one can display any color
- 1 x Motion sensor (LIS3DH triple-axis accelerometer with tap detection, free-fall detection)
- 1 x Temperature sensor (thermistor)
- 1 x Light sensor (phototransistor)
- 1 x Sound sensor (MEMS microphone)
- 1 x Mini speaker (magnetic buzzer)
- 2 x Push buttons, left and right
- 1 x Slide switch
- 8 x alligator-clip friendly input/output pins
Includes I2C, UART, and 4 pins that can do analog inputs/PWM output
- All 8 pads can act as capacitive touch inputs
- Green "ON" LED so you know its powered
- Red "#13" LED for basic blinking
- Reset button
Check out the detailed tutorial for pinouts, driver installation, Arduino IDE, and more!
- As of June 30, 2017 these now come pre-programmed with Firmata so they can be used with code.org CS curriculum immediately!
- As of August 3, 2017 we now have a new silkscreen back that says "Circuit Playground Classic". Other than that they are identical to what we have been selling historically